Elect a Socialist Fighter for NIPSA General Secretary!
NIPSA is the largest trade union in Northern Ireland, representing 46,000 workers across the public sector. From tomorrow, ballot papers will be circulated to members for them to elect the union's new General Secretary.
Socialist Party member Patrick Mulholland is standing as the Broad Left candidate for the position. If a socialist fighter like Patrick is elected as NIPSA General Secretary, it could make a real difference to the struggle against austerity and sectarianism in the coming years.
While his opponent and all previous General Secretaries have come from the union's full-time officialdom, Patrick is a public sector worker who understands the issues facing rank-and-file NIPSA members because he faces them as well. Patrick will remain connected to members' conditions by remaining on his current salary and donating the rest of his income to workers' and trade union causes.
Please talk to any NIPSA members you know and ask them to consider voting for Patrick.
Five reasons to elect Patrick as NIPSA General Secretary:
1) Patrick will live on his current salary wage and donate the rest to workers' and trade union causes. He will only take the same expenses as NIPSA members, not the higher official's rate.
2) Patrick is opposed to one-day, tokenistic strike action. He is committed to building a REAL anti-cuts movement and developing a REAL strategy to defend jobs and services.
3) Patrick is opposed to trade unions forming political alliance with Assembly parties that are based on sectarian division. NIPSA's politics should be anti-sectarian and about defending jobs and public services.
4) Patrick is committed to campaigning for job creation, rebuilding public services, defending the welfare state and NIPSA's democratic, socialist alternative to austerity.
5) As President, Patrick has been a strong voice for public servants in the media. As General Secretary, he will be even more effective on your behalf.
Read an article from The Socialist on Patrick's challenge.
For further info, visit patrickmulholland.org
Facebook: Patrick Mulholland for NIPSA General Secretary