The Irish Republican Movement Collection at IUPUI
Everyone pretty much agrees that between 1969/70 and today “Provisional” Irish Republicanism was transformed. The causes and consequences of that transformation are hotly debated, however. The Irish Republican Movement Collection at IUPUI offers a unique resource for people interested in understanding that transformation. See: http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship/collections/IrishRepublicanMovement
The Collection is hosted by the University Library of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), and is part of the library’s larger Program of Digital Scholarship. http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship
As described on the library’s web pages:
The missions of both IUPUI University Library and the IUPUI campus necessitate the existence and support of a program of digital scholarship. In a rapidly changing information and scholarly communication environment, propelled by the research pursuits and scholarly interests of IUPUI's students, faculty, and community members, it is vital that University Library, University Library Librarians, and University Library Staff extend traditional library activities into the digital environment.
The Irish Republican Movement Collection is open-access (free), searchable (when appropriate), and complements traditional scholarship and other on-line databases, such as, the CAIN (Conflict Archive On the INternet) Web Service – Conflict and Politics in Northern Ireland. http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/
The Irish Republican Movement Collection at IUPUI includes:
- Unfinished Business: The Politics of “Dissident” Irish Republicans (2012), a recently completed documentary that examines the origins and politics of “dissident” Irish Republicans. http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship/video/UnfinishedBusiness;
- An archive of The Blanket: A Journal of Protest and Dissent http://indiamond6.ulib.iupui.edu:81/;
- An extensive set of issues of Fourthwrite: For a Democratic Socialist Republic, which will hopefully expand to cover all published issues. http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship/collections/Fourthwrite;
- The Pensive Quill, http://thepensivequill.am/;
- Saoirse - Irish Freedom, the monthly newspaper of Republican Sinn Féin (RSF). http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship/collections/IrishNews;
- The Sovereign Nation, the newspaper of the 32 County Sovereignty Movement. http://ulib.iupui.edu/digitalscholarship/collections/SNation.
Issues of Fourthwrite, Saoirse, and The Sovereign Nation are searchable which allows scholars, students, and interested readers easy access to information and different perspectives on various events as related to the Irish Republican Movement. Additional resources will be added to the Irish Republican Movement Collection as they become available.
The Irish Republican Movement Collection at IUPUI is committed to better understanding of the causes and consequences of political conflict in Ireland.
Professor and Chair
Department of Sociology
IU School of Liberal Arts